Friday, January 27, 2012


          Welcome to Garden Gaffes. This blog is meant to be a journey towards gardening aptitude. I lack the proverbial green thumb, my gardening skills could be compared to black thumb in nature. I used to be quite a good gardener until I moved here to South Kansas. It’s hard to garden here, so killing all your plants may not be your fault, blame nature. Our soil is full of rocks, we have hardpan and clay, our summers get up to above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and not to mention we don’t get that much rain. It still astounds me that they call this the “breadbasket of America”. Really? Because there is something called the Dust Bowl that took our topsoil. I’m amazed that we even grow things here. One of the main things we do have going for us is the unbelievably long growing season. We typically get two harvests, but it isn’t without lots of effort.

         I hope that you use this blog to inform some of your gardening choices. I hope that you learn from my errors and have a good laugh. Because that’s what it really is about isn’t it? Gardening is supposed to be a joyful hobby right up to the point that it maddens you to no end. I hope that I can take some frustration out of the experience, if  at the very least re-ignite your sense of humor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment